A wonderful trip to God's own country !
So, here I am to talk about our fabulous Kerala trip. It all started with 6th June when we left for Kerala. It was an 8 days, 9 nights’ Indian Airline’s package called Enchanting Kerala. Now having been in Kerala, I understand why they people call it God’s own country. Simply an amazing state.
Coincidentally on Jaipur airport we saw in fact met the world champion Table-Tennis team from China. They guys were here for some seven days for the world cup championship and that was the day for them to return home and actually with one more cup( you know China has been world Champion for years). Everybody of them was holding Jaipuri razai in one of hands, you must be aware that jaipuri razai are world famous for its warmth. I and my bro went to see them and congratulate them, who were sitting just a couple of seats away from us. This is the world champion team from China
Before noon we reached Kochin via Mumbai. A red Innova was waiting for us on the airport with a white dressed innocent looking guy as our driver called Shakir bhayya. Directly from there we went to hotel. Also, there I found out that Kochi and Cochin are the same places. Earlier I have heard from some people that they are different. But actually it’s not true, both are same. Ernakulum is new Cochin and Cochin itself is the old Cochin. Though when I saw Cochin airport, I wasn’t impressed at all. I mean how can you expect stinking restrooms at an airport? I presumed ki this place might not be that great as what we thought of Kerala as a mesmerizing state. But soon I was proven wrong. Sometimes first impression is not the last one. Moreover for a rajasthani it’s just simply a delight to eyes, our eyes just popped out seeing such lavish greenery. Although we have been to many other green places like Portblair and Mussorie, Dehradoon and full south but like every other experience in our life it was a unique sight in itself. Also visiting this place reminded me of a unique friend who has been there for a few months. I was like- ‘oh, so that ullu was at this great place for months and he used to talk about this hero on posters called Mamooty in his blog’.
Having seen Kochi, I thought no one can found this much greenery and pure environment anywhere else. But next few days proved that natural beauty we saw in Cochin was least among all places which were included in our itinerary.
Without going in detail about what we saw, what information we gathered about history of those places, I would just say ki I haven’t seen any state so clean so managed and with so many educated and helpful people. Year after year I see in my state that even a single first rain damages the roads (leave out those janpath, rajpath and big-guys roads), water accumulation can be seen in abundance. If you are passing by some circle after rain you will find half of the area around circle’s center filled with water. Though Jaipur is quite planned city but still it lacks in some areas and colonies. In Kerala (wherever we have been) you will never see any pothole on the roads filled with water. Roads are so smooth and made of good quality material. Things like these give really a clear idea about any state’s progress and evolution.
After Cochin, it was Munnar then Thekkady then Alleppy then Kovalam and finally Kanyakumari. Among these places Kanyakumari was the one we visited for the second time. It was 3-dhaam-yatra covering almost whole south when we were in Kanyakumari last time, and I must be in just 3rd or 4th class then. First time I was on some likewise trip was when I was hardly of 4 years. Thanks to bank facility, that after every four years we get the opportunity to enjoy our holidays at places of our choice.
See the irony, we were at kanyakumari for the second time and we could not even see a single sight in Munnar because of that damn strike by taxi-wallas for three days. And believe me it was such a mesmerizing place that you can’t help but highly disappointed for not being able to go for any single sight. Only the outer look, dense greenery, the plants-trees spread out on every single hill/mountain, white clouds coming out of this big green splendid sheet, the dazzling deep narrow bottoms and those gleaming waterfalls were more than enough to show us a glimpse of Munnar. I mean its been more than 20 days since we have done with this Kerala trip but every moment is so vivid in my memories with all its beauty that makes me wonder and say ‘ was I really at such a heavenly land’ . No matter how much I try I would never be able to do the justice with the beauty I have seen, in my description. If any time you make it to Kerala don’t ever miss out this great place.
So because of this bad luck, we had to move from Munnar to Thekkady in as early in the morning at about 5 o’clock, as we were told that after sunrise it won’t be possible to move out from this town. I must have seen the most marvelous sunrise of my life and most terrific scenes out of the window of our car on our way to Thekkady. I realized most beautiful things are hard to explain, specially when it’s just breathtaking!
Though while appreciating these breathtaking scenes, there was actually some more activity going simultaneously, and taking my breaths away – vomiting. In spite of the great ambience in and out of ac car, those never-ending turns on the way made me sick like anything. From Cochin to Munnar and Munnar to Thekkady were the journeys which made everyone of us sick to our stomach and I was extreme. When we would ask driver about the time of journey, he would say 3 hours. But of this throwing-event it would stretched out to some 4-5 hours. From Munnar to Thekkady I threw out for five times whatever was in my stomach (if at all there was something to be thrown out). After having experienced this and observing that this way it will spoil our amazing trip, I for coming 2-3 days, skipped my breakfast, lunch and directly took dinner after reaching destination at the end of the day . This used to be my diet for the whole day before taking an ultra light dinner for a couple of days.
Here I give you my free advice ki always carry mineral water bottles with you. No matter how much filtered/mineral water your 3-4 star hotel and restaurant offers you as in our case, always go for sealed mineral water bottle. Change in water worsens that turns-effect. Never mind those few notes of hundred bucks, believe me it will smoothen your journey. And put a few pouches of Hajmola, it really lightens you and make your mood fine.
As soon as Thekkady passed, it was alright since plain has just started. Journey after this end was cool. Though every place in our itinerary was great but Kovalam was something that looked first among equals. That is also because, the hotel (Samudra) of KTDC (Kerala Tourist Development Corporation) we were assigned has its own beach at the back (others had just swimming pools). In fact every hotel Indian guys arranged for us was very nice. Though Eastend at Munnar and Samudra at Kovalam were closer to Mother Nature and so more gorgeous. Even the surroundings and interior were so spectacular at these two hotels.

A view of the hotel's beach from room.
Really, a great place to be with your family or be just with your that beloved one. I mean as single person as I am, who can feel so romantic, you can imagine how high you can feel with your angel. Seems KTDC fed me to do marketing for Kerala ! Well how does it matter if you feel good during your stay in their state !
During this whole trip I observed a few things, that are so unique about Kerala, like-
1. Lungi clad men with shirts. You won’t see them wearing t-shirts, suits or even jeans.
2. All women out there can be seen having same hair-style/do, something like this lady in the snap. Similarly like men they have also restricted themselves into saree and salwar suits. You won’t see any girl in jeans/trousers, top or skirts.

3. This really is one of the best parts we observed in this state that we didn’t see any single beggar at any place. This really surprised us though in positive way.
4. People out there are not fashion savvy. But this doesn’t affect their ambitions of making it big, though in simple yet determined way. No need to mention the literacy rate of this state. People here are actually educated, peaceful and helpful though without being in the pace with the world when it comes to wearing trendy clothes or looking smart and cool.
5. These guys do have great belief in Ayurveda and natural therapies and everything that involves nature in healing or rejuvenating. You can find many Ayurvedic massage and spa center on roads, markets, even in homes.
6. When I use Pantene or Vatika shampoo and Lakme conditioner on my hairs, ladies of this state use various plants’ root, leaves, stem and what not, get their essence and apply it on hairs. And guess what? They totally use their home made coconut oils on hairs. Now you know the secret of black and dense hairs of Keralite women ! This was told to us by our driver and the lady who took us around to show us a big spice garden. We in fact purchased a couple of types of oils their, very very costly though. Actually we got so excited after listening all this that we were like- ‘ye bhi lei le, wo bhi le le’ !
7. Though whatever time we would get at the end of the day we would see Sony, MTV or whichever channel 2 of us agreed on (we would get 2 rooms everywhere so in one room it was fortunate one of us who could see channel of his/her choice and in the other room, it would be fight between two persons). But at times just to have a glimpse, that how Kerala’s actors/ actress look like, we would change our channel to regional ones for a few seconds. I noticed one thing that though heroines are digestible and some are even nice looking but heroes are like total uncleji type, having moustache with the density that any innocent person like me can be immediately frightened of !
8. Last one I can recall is, in buses, windows are without glasses. Obviously given the humidity out there, its must. I noticed that even after a day or two my color turned to quite dusky one. I mean, I also don’t have fair color but it isn’t whitish either. During some 7-8 days we didn’t witness any scorching heat or intense sunlight (resulting into sun burns) that actually are the causes of dark color in south. Might be current atmospherical conditions like temperature-humidity balance and pressure are responsible for that dusky effect.

Well, so Kanyakumari was the last place in our package. From there we needed to reach at Trivendrum to catch the flight for Mumbai. I had one of my good friends there in TCS Training Center but because of time constraint I could not meet her (nowadays she is in Mumbai, though). My parents were also of the same opinion that when we have come so far we should meet her. But we actually failed to manage some time for her.
But as in Munnar case, guess strike sequence hasn’t ended there. It was Indian Airlines guys only who decided to be on nation wide strike. Since all our flights were of Indian we had to wait at Trivendrum airport for 4 hours as most of their flights got delayed. Had we known it before we would have made it to meet my friend rather getting bored at boring airport.
Somehow we reached to Mumbai and soon got to know ki our flight to Jaipur next day has been cancelled. So for two nights we stayed at papa’s very close friend and relished lunch, dinner at other close friends. Uncle, aunty were also happy hearing that we were not rushing. Earlier they had complaint that we were not staying for a couple of days more to enjoy together. Similar kinds of complaints a couple of my friends hold who are in Mumbai. But you just can’t manage to meet them in a single day, given the long distances this metro is known for. Moreover when you are with family, you have to follow your folks and give priority to those who they give to. That’s the reason that I didn’t tell anybody except one that I am in Mumbai. And the one who knows ridicules me saying- ‘ yahi hai dosti ?kitni jaldi bhool jate hai na log dosto ko…amazing’ !. Sorry dude, but you know my problem.
And hey, I didn’t know what occurred to me while uncle was planning to take us out, I spoke out- ‘ Uncle, how about traveling in Mumbai local train’ . He actually agreed. From Borivali we went to Churchgate to see our Gateway of India . During this journey, Uncle said that between these two stations there are some 20(don’t remember exactly) stations, lets see who can remember them all while stepping off at Churchgate ! I was able to remember some 14-15 out of them but not like my bro who remembered all. Sis even at beginning was like – ‘huh, kaun yaad rakhe inhe, I better look out of window and see ‘people’ out here !’ We went to India Gate, we went to marine lines and traveled some distance on our foot, relishing that queen’s necklace on beach. And man while returning I saw that over-crowdy view of Mumbai local trains that every other Bollywood movie shows in its originality. Though a little difficult but real experience it was, that so many mumbaikars have every day.
Thanks to Indian that they made some arrangement with Jet Airways and next day on 15th we were home. Though these guys called off their strike right before 20 minutes our original flight was scheduled on. All in all, we were home safe and fine. Nobody of us can forget this amazing trip to such a wonderful place called Kerala. It would be hard to forget any moment of this trip in many years to come. And believe me they guys don’t proclaim this state as ‘God’s own country’ just like that. If you don’t trust me, go have a look by yourself, you will thank me to provoke you and I will thank you to not to trust me !!
Coincidentally on Jaipur airport we saw in fact met the world champion Table-Tennis team from China. They guys were here for some seven days for the world cup championship and that was the day for them to return home and actually with one more cup( you know China has been world Champion for years). Everybody of them was holding Jaipuri razai in one of hands, you must be aware that jaipuri razai are world famous for its warmth. I and my bro went to see them and congratulate them, who were sitting just a couple of seats away from us. This is the world champion team from China
Having seen Kochi, I thought no one can found this much greenery and pure environment anywhere else. But next few days proved that natural beauty we saw in Cochin was least among all places which were included in our itinerary.
Without going in detail about what we saw, what information we gathered about history of those places, I would just say ki I haven’t seen any state so clean so managed and with so many educated and helpful people. Year after year I see in my state that even a single first rain damages the roads (leave out those janpath, rajpath and big-guys roads), water accumulation can be seen in abundance. If you are passing by some circle after rain you will find half of the area around circle’s center filled with water. Though Jaipur is quite planned city but still it lacks in some areas and colonies. In Kerala (wherever we have been) you will never see any pothole on the roads filled with water. Roads are so smooth and made of good quality material. Things like these give really a clear idea about any state’s progress and evolution.
After Cochin, it was Munnar then Thekkady then Alleppy then Kovalam and finally Kanyakumari. Among these places Kanyakumari was the one we visited for the second time. It was 3-dhaam-yatra covering almost whole south when we were in Kanyakumari last time, and I must be in just 3rd or 4th class then. First time I was on some likewise trip was when I was hardly of 4 years. Thanks to bank facility, that after every four years we get the opportunity to enjoy our holidays at places of our choice.
See the irony, we were at kanyakumari for the second time and we could not even see a single sight in Munnar because of that damn strike by taxi-wallas for three days. And believe me it was such a mesmerizing place that you can’t help but highly disappointed for not being able to go for any single sight. Only the outer look, dense greenery, the plants-trees spread out on every single hill/mountain, white clouds coming out of this big green splendid sheet, the dazzling deep narrow bottoms and those gleaming waterfalls were more than enough to show us a glimpse of Munnar. I mean its been more than 20 days since we have done with this Kerala trip but every moment is so vivid in my memories with all its beauty that makes me wonder and say ‘ was I really at such a heavenly land’ . No matter how much I try I would never be able to do the justice with the beauty I have seen, in my description. If any time you make it to Kerala don’t ever miss out this great place.
So because of this bad luck, we had to move from Munnar to Thekkady in as early in the morning at about 5 o’clock, as we were told that after sunrise it won’t be possible to move out from this town. I must have seen the most marvelous sunrise of my life and most terrific scenes out of the window of our car on our way to Thekkady. I realized most beautiful things are hard to explain, specially when it’s just breathtaking!
Here I give you my free advice ki always carry mineral water bottles with you. No matter how much filtered/mineral water your 3-4 star hotel and restaurant offers you as in our case, always go for sealed mineral water bottle. Change in water worsens that turns-effect. Never mind those few notes of hundred bucks, believe me it will smoothen your journey. And put a few pouches of Hajmola, it really lightens you and make your mood fine.
As soon as Thekkady passed, it was alright since plain has just started. Journey after this end was cool. Though every place in our itinerary was great but Kovalam was something that looked first among equals. That is also because, the hotel (Samudra) of KTDC (Kerala Tourist Development Corporation) we were assigned has its own beach at the back (others had just swimming pools). In fact every hotel Indian guys arranged for us was very nice. Though Eastend at Munnar and Samudra at Kovalam were closer to Mother Nature and so more gorgeous. Even the surroundings and interior were so spectacular at these two hotels.
Really, a great place to be with your family or be just with your that beloved one. I mean as single person as I am, who can feel so romantic, you can imagine how high you can feel with your angel. Seems KTDC fed me to do marketing for Kerala ! Well how does it matter if you feel good during your stay in their state !
During this whole trip I observed a few things, that are so unique about Kerala, like-
1. Lungi clad men with shirts. You won’t see them wearing t-shirts, suits or even jeans.
2. All women out there can be seen having same hair-style/do, something like this lady in the snap. Similarly like men they have also restricted themselves into saree and salwar suits. You won’t see any girl in jeans/trousers, top or skirts.
3. This really is one of the best parts we observed in this state that we didn’t see any single beggar at any place. This really surprised us though in positive way.
4. People out there are not fashion savvy. But this doesn’t affect their ambitions of making it big, though in simple yet determined way. No need to mention the literacy rate of this state. People here are actually educated, peaceful and helpful though without being in the pace with the world when it comes to wearing trendy clothes or looking smart and cool.
5. These guys do have great belief in Ayurveda and natural therapies and everything that involves nature in healing or rejuvenating. You can find many Ayurvedic massage and spa center on roads, markets, even in homes.
6. When I use Pantene or Vatika shampoo and Lakme conditioner on my hairs, ladies of this state use various plants’ root, leaves, stem and what not, get their essence and apply it on hairs. And guess what? They totally use their home made coconut oils on hairs. Now you know the secret of black and dense hairs of Keralite women ! This was told to us by our driver and the lady who took us around to show us a big spice garden. We in fact purchased a couple of types of oils their, very very costly though. Actually we got so excited after listening all this that we were like- ‘ye bhi lei le, wo bhi le le’ !
7. Though whatever time we would get at the end of the day we would see Sony, MTV or whichever channel 2 of us agreed on (we would get 2 rooms everywhere so in one room it was fortunate one of us who could see channel of his/her choice and in the other room, it would be fight between two persons). But at times just to have a glimpse, that how Kerala’s actors/ actress look like, we would change our channel to regional ones for a few seconds. I noticed one thing that though heroines are digestible and some are even nice looking but heroes are like total uncleji type, having moustache with the density that any innocent person like me can be immediately frightened of !
8. Last one I can recall is, in buses, windows are without glasses. Obviously given the humidity out there, its must. I noticed that even after a day or two my color turned to quite dusky one. I mean, I also don’t have fair color but it isn’t whitish either. During some 7-8 days we didn’t witness any scorching heat or intense sunlight (resulting into sun burns) that actually are the causes of dark color in south. Might be current atmospherical conditions like temperature-humidity balance and pressure are responsible for that dusky effect.
Well, so Kanyakumari was the last place in our package. From there we needed to reach at Trivendrum to catch the flight for Mumbai. I had one of my good friends there in TCS Training Center but because of time constraint I could not meet her (nowadays she is in Mumbai, though). My parents were also of the same opinion that when we have come so far we should meet her. But we actually failed to manage some time for her.
But as in Munnar case, guess strike sequence hasn’t ended there. It was Indian Airlines guys only who decided to be on nation wide strike. Since all our flights were of Indian we had to wait at Trivendrum airport for 4 hours as most of their flights got delayed. Had we known it before we would have made it to meet my friend rather getting bored at boring airport.
Somehow we reached to Mumbai and soon got to know ki our flight to Jaipur next day has been cancelled. So for two nights we stayed at papa’s very close friend and relished lunch, dinner at other close friends. Uncle, aunty were also happy hearing that we were not rushing. Earlier they had complaint that we were not staying for a couple of days more to enjoy together. Similar kinds of complaints a couple of my friends hold who are in Mumbai. But you just can’t manage to meet them in a single day, given the long distances this metro is known for. Moreover when you are with family, you have to follow your folks and give priority to those who they give to. That’s the reason that I didn’t tell anybody except one that I am in Mumbai. And the one who knows ridicules me saying- ‘ yahi hai dosti ?kitni jaldi bhool jate hai na log dosto ko…amazing’ !. Sorry dude, but you know my problem.
And hey, I didn’t know what occurred to me while uncle was planning to take us out, I spoke out- ‘ Uncle, how about traveling in Mumbai local train’ . He actually agreed. From Borivali we went to Churchgate to see our Gateway of India . During this journey, Uncle said that between these two stations there are some 20(don’t remember exactly) stations, lets see who can remember them all while stepping off at Churchgate ! I was able to remember some 14-15 out of them but not like my bro who remembered all. Sis even at beginning was like – ‘huh, kaun yaad rakhe inhe, I better look out of window and see ‘people’ out here !’ We went to India Gate, we went to marine lines and traveled some distance on our foot, relishing that queen’s necklace on beach. And man while returning I saw that over-crowdy view of Mumbai local trains that every other Bollywood movie shows in its originality. Though a little difficult but real experience it was, that so many mumbaikars have every day.
Thanks to Indian that they made some arrangement with Jet Airways and next day on 15th we were home. Though these guys called off their strike right before 20 minutes our original flight was scheduled on. All in all, we were home safe and fine. Nobody of us can forget this amazing trip to such a wonderful place called Kerala. It would be hard to forget any moment of this trip in many years to come. And believe me they guys don’t proclaim this state as ‘God’s own country’ just like that. If you don’t trust me, go have a look by yourself, you will thank me to provoke you and I will thank you to not to trust me !!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home